Garage Door Safety
What is one of the weakest points of security in the average home?
The garage door.
A secure garage door entails a lot more than just making sure its closed. Below you will find five ways to strengthen your garage door and prevent break-ins.
- First and foremost, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR GARAGE DOOR REMOTE IN YOUR VEHICLE. A thief can break into your vehicle and gain easy access into your home. Instead, keep it on your keychain. This leads us to our second tip:
- Invest in a keychain remote opener. Keeping your garage opener remote with you at all times on your keychain will prevent you from leaving the remote in your car.
- Make sure the door from your garage into your home is as secure as your front door. Keep it locked. This may be the only defense between a thief and the rest of your home.
- When you are on vacation, take extra precautions and padlock your garage door. This will heighten the security of your home when you are away.
- Frost or cover your garage door windows to block potential thieves from seeing the valuables in your garage. If you park your vehicles in the garage, this will also keep thieves from finding out whether or not you are home.
Even with all of these preventive measures in action, accidents can still happen. What if you could be notified through your smart phone when your garage door was left open or if someone was breaking in?
We have several products – tilt sensors, motion detectors, door contacts – that can notify you of such events.
The garage is an important entry point and area of the home, and we want to ensure that it is not a weak spot. If you would like to keep your home safe by securing your garage door, contact us by clicking here, or give us a call at (325) 658-8375.